Cygnett Enigma Apple iPad Mini 1/2/3 Folio review
Also known as the “Flex Folding Folio,” the Cygnett Enigma for Apple iPad Mini does the popular origami-style foldout stand well enough, while the nice firm rubberized backer provides surprising protection. This is an easy best case scenario at a reasonable price.
How much an iPad Mini user will enjoy the Cygnett Enigma folio case may depend solely on how he/she feels about the currently fashionable origami-style smart covers. Fans of this sub-subgenre of tablet folio case will note that the Enigma is a decent example at a fair-enough price.
The origami-style cover itself is rubberized not only to resist scratches, water and shocks efficiently but also to help avoid the creasing which may happen in other foldout folio covers. For carrying or display, the iPad Mini snaps into the plastic backer firmly. And at only 125 grams (4.4 ounces), the Enigma does a great job of maintaining the tablet’s weighted feel.
While the Enigma folio tablet case case gets high marks for protection and precise cutouts for easy access to all iPad Mini functions. A magnet for auto sleep/wake function is not included in this early version of the case. Cygnett has promised that future editions will have this feature.
But again, this one’s all about the origami-style foldout stand. Its design can be folded just the same as a smart cover to provide similar support for typing and viewing modes. By clasping the two ends of the magnetic case cover together, the user has a more stable support for browsing and viewing in either landscape or portrait format. The whole thing rests stably on a level surface, and as fans of origami stands know, this design is not nearly as complex as the ancient Japanese paper-folding craft.
- Origami-style foldout stand
- Scratch-, water- and shock-resistant
- Slim, lightweight design
The overall rating is indicative of the Cygnett Enigma’s bid to become a best case scenario. Most everything is done well and the entire package is a good deal for the lower-than-average price.
- Designed exclusively for use with the Apple iPad Mini
- Polyurethane design with rubberized cover
- Soft microfiber interior with smooth felt-like touch
- Origami-style smart cover design with magnetic closure
- Snap-in shell offers the tablet a secure fit
- Cutouts for all buttons, input/output ports and rear-facing camera
- Flexi-view stand feature provides multiple angles for typing and viewing
- Supports 15°, 65° and 70° angles in landscape format
- Supports 45° angle in portrait format
- Scratch and water-resistant exterior
- Slim, lightweight design
- Net weight: 125 g / 4.4 oz
|Tablet||Apple iPad Mini, Apple iPad Mini 3|
|Price||Great Value $40-$79|
|Dimensions||5.4 x 0.43 x 7.9 in (WDH)|
|Features||Button Cutouts ,Port Cutouts ,Speaker Grill,Stand Feature|