Mokitoki R* Case Apple iPad 2/3/4 Shell & Mount review
The R* Case is an all-in-one back protector and wall mount design for the Apple iPad 3, or iPad 2. Aside from an amazing low cost, Mokitoki (also known as Touchns) doesn’t hold anything back. The R* Case package bundle includes a universal bracket and multiple components for securely fixing the encased tablet to variety of surfaces or other compatible mounting solutions (sold separately).
The R* Case is notable for its affordability, compatibility and versatility. The polycarbonate rear-shell is designed for the New iPad 3, and Smart Covercompatible. It also works with the iPad 2. The shell snaps secure to either tablet and provides clear access to all buttons, input/output ports and rear-facing camera. There is also an Apple-shaped cutout on the back for the brand logo to peak through. (Hopefully Apple is too caught up in their other legal battles to take action).
When paired, the R* Case and Smart Cover create 10°, 15°, and 25° angles. These are all mostly suitable for typing modes. The one drawback is that the back-side rails prevent the Smart Cover from providing its normal viewing mode support. The distinctive case features do more assisting than hindering. Each rail is topped with a strip of non-slip rubber that enables the R* Case to lie perfectly still on tabletops or sloped surfaces (like a car windshield). They also improve grip-ability for easier tablet hold and carry.
The rails make their biggest play when supporting the universal bracket piece. There is a channel groove in each one that makes sliding the R*Case on/off the bracket an effortless routine. The package includes a set of rubber suction cups and wall screws/anchors for attaching the bracket to a variety of surfaces. Our tests on glass and the refrigerator door resulted in a nice secure hold of the tablet. It is worth nothing that Mokitoki does warn the suction cups to be only a temporary fix solution. In other words, don’t expect them to work their magic for continuous hours on end. The R*Case can be fixed to any VESA (75mm) standard mount products or C4-type hole-mount brackets. And the package also includes nuts, bolts and small rubber rings needed for the potential pairing.
- 2012 Golden Case Awards winner for Best Back Protector
- Anti-slip rails for easier one handed grip
- Case doesn’t slip on flat or sloped surfaces
- Various mounting capabilities (components included)
- VESA standard (75mm) mount/C4-type bracket compatible
The Apple Smart Cover attachment allows users to reap all the benefits of the Mokitoki R* Case. The pairing is not needed to enjoy most of its rewards. Ultimately, the R* Case is the best case scenario for the Apple iPad 2/iPad 3 user who seeks an affordable solution that opens the door to a range of tablet mounting possibilities.
- Designed exclusively for the Apple iPad 2 and New iPad 3/4
- Smart Cover compatible
- Cutouts for all buttons, input/output ports and rear-facing camera
- Smart Cover pairing provides multiple tablet stand angles
- Built-in rails with non-slip rubber surface
- Case lies still on flat and sloped surfaces (like a car windshield)
- Universal bracket corresponds to all VESA (75mm) standard mount products and C4-type brackets
- Package includes: suction cups, wall screws, plastic anchors, bolts, nuts and rubber rings (4 of everything)
- Includes masking sheet and sticker to attach on top of the bracket as a finish
- Combined net weight (rear-shell and universal bracket): 157 g / 5.5 oz
|Tablet||Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 3, Apple iPad 4|
|Style||Shell, Wall Mount|
|Price||Budget $1 - $39|
|Dimensions||7.4 x 0.6 x 9.5 in (WDH)|
|Features||Mounting components included|