TouCoul CoulVue iPad 2/3/4 Rotating Car Headrest Mount review
Compared to the average designs in this case-style class, the CoulVue by TouCoul is just too cool for school. It’s not the 360 degree display rotation that sets it apart, though always a cool feature to have. Rather this tablet car mount is unique for its multi-jointed arm that extends and shares the iPad 2, or new iPad, with multiple backseat passengers - making any car pool vehicle or ’mom-mobile’ that much more fun!
The CoolVue is made of hard plastic, yet has an impressive heavy-duty feel. The design weighs .88lbs, most of it lies in the mounting bars, so once the iPad 2, or New iPad 3, is snapped into the cradle, there is nice sturdy balance. The mounting bar adjusts to fit standard vehicle headrests and contains two screws which are tightened with an Allen wrench (included in the package) to securely fasten the unit to the headrest rods. The installation process is not difficult, but I don’t think it’s something the user will want to do time in and time out, most likely making this solution a semi-permanent fixture in the vehicle.
In contrast, the iPad does pop easily in and out of the cradle for equally swift transfer in out of the car. It is Smart Cover compatible , but will not support any other cases or skins that broaden the shape of the tablet. Though padded corners would be nice, the cradle does have a soft, rubbery coating to prevent scratching/scuffing the naked device.
The arm contains ball-and-socket like joints. When fully extended it measures 10” from the center of the headrest to the front of the iPad. Listed from back to front, the four joints each work as follows - the first swings left to right 180 degrees; the second tilts up/down 180degrees; the third pans left/right 180 degrees; and the last (nearest the cradle) tilts the display forward/back 180 degrees. Finally, the cradle spins a full 360 degrees for the user to make the easy switch between landscape and portrait modes. By extending laterally to position the tablet between the two front seats, plus tilting, panning and rotating action, the CoolVue assures that more than one backseat passenger can have clear view and/or touch of the screen display.
- 2012 Best Car Mount award winner
- Access to all tablet controls/features
- Multi-jointed arm for tablet sharing
- 360-degree display rotation
- Smart Cover compatible
- Flexible arm mount that extends out for playing games or surfing the web, and easily retracts for watching movies.
- 360° twist/tilt function to easily flip between portrait and landscape mode, as well as angle the device for optimal viewing.
- Reinforced locking system that holds the iPad 2 securely in place, even when going over bumps, potholes, or bridges!
- Soft-coated inner lining protects your iPad 2 and keeps it scratch and scuff-free.
- Smart Cover compatible to protect iPad screen while not in use, or fold it to the back for safe storage.
- Updated iPad 2 design allows for back-facing camera use while mounted.
- Easy to install and uninstall from headrest.
|Tablet||Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 3, Apple iPad 4|
|Price||Great Value $40-$79|
|Dimensions||10 x 2.5 x 8 in (WDH)|