WowWee ArtSee Studio Apple iPad 2/3/4 Interactive Play Case review
For young iPad users who have moved beyond simpler play cases (such as those in the Totoya Creatures line, for example) the ArtSee Studio from WowWee is an excellent step up. Already a big, colorful, sturdy play case, the ArtSee Studio provides endless hours of good, creative fun thanks to a free downloadable app and nice drawing tools. The sole caveat: Some patience is required on the part of both parents and children at first – With so many options for backgrounds, colors, and even animations, realizing the full potential of the ArtSee play case may take a little time.
With another play case landing in the Tablet2Cases office, it was time once again to employ a T2C product tester for reviewing purposes. My daughter Suzie (age 7½) helped put the ArtSee Studio Interactive kids play case through the paces with our (OK, *her*) Apple iPad.
The playful blue and green makeup of the ArtSee Studio was immediately attractive to the young burgeoning artist, and the carrying handlehad her ready to claim it as her own. Parentally speaking, the hard plastic makeup of the case is reassuringly built to withstand serious drops and other accidents. But it was the promise of ArtSee’s illustration and animation software that piqued our curiosity.
And Wow-Wee, does the downloadable app deliver! (Once you get it downloaded, that is.) In our experience, with high-speed WiFi connection and out of the Apple app store, nearly 10 minutes were required to get this thing downloaded and installed. Suzie was damn near climbing the walls waiting…
Once the ArtSee Studio app is running, though, the possibilities are literally endless: Backgrounds and themes are included, or photo images may be used (the case nicely includes a cutout for the back camera). Each of the five stamp-like tools performs a different function when creating a picture, including animating the drawing and adding sound. A stylus shaped like a crayon for typical drawing functions is also provided, but within seconds Suzie did what was natural and simply used her fingers on the touchscreen for this purpose.
Tablet2Cases can report that Suzie enjoyed the ArtSee Studio well enough, though was a bit disappointed by the complexity of using the tools: These aren’t always intuitive (even to this parent!) and take some time to learn.
- 2013 Golden Case Awards winner for Best Play Case
- Incredibly powerful app great for creative kids
- Very good price
- Fits any Apple iPad
- Fits any generation Apple iPad
- For kids of all ages
- Fun interactive design works with free downloadable App
- Hard plastic protective case
- Built-in carrying handle
- Flush-mount kickstand supports the display at 10° angle
- Included stylus crayon and 5 interactive stamp tools
- Over 72 stamps and stamp variations
- Stamped images can be animated and play fun sound effects
- 15 rollers for enhancing your artwork
- 3 built-in theme packs
- 60 challenging activities in 5 unique games
- 18 coloring pages
- Home button covered to prevent navigation away from the interactive App
- Port for rear-camera access
- Finished artwork can be easily shared on Facebook and Twitter
- Net weight: 755g / 26.5 oz
|Tablet||Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 3, Apple iPad 4|
|Price||Budget $1 - $39|
|Dimensions||14.0 X 1.5 X 10.0|
|Features||Handles, Stand Feature|